O Argos Animal Welfare Society in Greece
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the volunteers

4 posters

Go down

About the volunteers Empty About the volunteers

Post  Ghost07 Thu Mar 08 2012, 21:03

Hi folks,

I would like you to post little more information about the volunteers. Who are you, what made you get involved and how do you cope with what can be a very distressing job? I would also like to know a little bit more about the shelter and what the daily routine is like. If that is not enough :-) I would also suggest we start a section on how we can put pressure on our M.E.P's to start changing E.U law in order to better protect animals. You are treating the symptoms of this neglect but for the long term we must look at a solution which attacks the causes and makes your life and the dogs lives better. Hope this makes sense,

Thanks, love and best wishes

Mike from Scotland

xxx
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty Re: About the volunteers

Post  Admin Thu Mar 08 2012, 21:15

Hi Mike,

I totally agree about the volunteers, I have a section ready to put up but waiting for the girls to write their little 'blog' if you like.

Also really like your idea about putting pressure on the members of the european parliament. You sound like you know a bit about this? hint hint lol

If I started a section would you get the ball rolling? We all have our skills but I would need more of a wake up about this as I haven't done anything like that at all...
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trikalashelter.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost07 Thu Mar 08 2012, 21:36

Hi Deb,

I will give it a go - I have only just started looking at this side of things myself - inspired by the actions at Trakala Shelter. I have already emailed my M.E.P and am awaiting a reply and will let you know how I get on. If you start a section I will give some thought to strategy along with some stated aims. If anyone else is reading this post your input is most welcome.

As confucius once said "even a journey of a thousand mile begins with one step". As a travel agent, journeys are my thing :-) Just to let you know I work condensed shifts Fri to Mon so don't have much spare time there but I am off Tuesday to Thursday and can fully support the forum then :-)

Mike

xxx
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty Letter to MEPs

Post  JaneyM Fri Mar 09 2012, 01:03

Hi Mike, letters to MEPs is a great idea. Could I make a suggestion, someone (hint hint like Deb!!!) creates a template letter than we can all copy and send out, just filling in our local MEP's name. Thereby ensuring we all get the right information down and also stopping people like me waffling - tend to go on and on and would probably bore the MEP before they get all the info!.

Would that be something someone could do?
Jane
Razz
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty MEPs

Post  JaneyM Fri Mar 09 2012, 01:04

Just re-read my note, where I said hint hint like Deb, I meant hinting like Deb did for you Mike to take on the task, not hinting that Deb should do it... oh dear, see I told you I waffle! Very Happy
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 09 2012, 02:23

I work strange shifts also - 4 days on 4 days off. So I will read through this again tomorrow (first day off) but sounds like something we could get started if we work it through Smile

Janey you make me laugh! lol A drafted letter sounds like a fab idea! I will reply better tomorrow afro

Thank you guys ...... I just love these smilies and I soooo know I am going to over-use them! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost07 Sat Mar 10 2012, 09:11

Hi Deb and Jane,

I will get started on a letter we can all use, however I will not really be able to give it proper consideration till next Tuesday due to work - I guess the bills have to be paid somehow Very Happy

Having said that, I get the odd quiet moment so will use it wisely to give some thought to things. Catch you all next week as I have three 14 hour shifts coming up Very Happy

Best wishes

Mike
xxx
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 10 2012, 10:33

Oh thank you so much Mike. Hope your days aren't too tiring. I do 12 hours at work then another 2 and a half hours travel so I know it's a hard slog. Make sure you look after yourself (yes Mum!) Sleep

Been organising transport for the 2 pups that are coming over from Trikala next week, they will be staying with me for a couple of days... I know I am going to want to keep them Suspect Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JaneyM Sat Mar 10 2012, 11:16

Three things:

1. Mike - YAY!!!!

2. Deb - Dead jealous you are getting to snuggle with the pups first!

Thirdly, re the return to Trikala when (~Jack?) goes back, Susann (Schmidt) and I were today trying to arrange getting some stuff to him at Dover to take back to the shelter if possible when he returns, however timings didn't work out. I live in Ramsgate, about a half -3/4 hour away from Dover and could take things to Yiannis to put on his truck to go back to Greece with. The only thing is that I am only there at weekends, in London all week, can get back to Dover on a Friday night around 11pm (ish) (I work weird hours too), and could drop things off anytime over the weekend IF he was getting a ferry back in that period. Today unfortunately he was sailing back at 10 I believe and had to be loaded up before I could have got there. But, as I said I do waffle, Maybe if there was to be a time when could be there at the same time, I'm happy to take things to him in me motor, to take back. Maybe people could drop things off, or transport some stuff along routes, like with the dogs, to a mutually convenient point I could pick stuff up?
It's an idea...

In Mike's honour: alien cat monkey pig confused affraid afro flower
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

Post  JaneyM Sun Mar 11 2012, 09:43

Me again,just wrote an email to my local MP asking for advice on what can be done from this end. Who to contact etc. You never know. I was very impressed when I received a letter from her this morning regarding the Big Switch, and her commitment to the cause etc. So, just the fact that she responded might be a positive move towards getting advice on the situation in Greece.

Disappointed though that I have had no response from any of the pet companies etc. that I've contacted regarding assistance. Not even a courteous "No"... ho hum....
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty Draft letter for M.E.P's

Post  Ghost07 Thu Mar 29 2012, 00:33

Hi folks,

Me again Very Happy

OK, apologies for the delay in drafting this letter but here is the first version and I would like your thoughts on it. Once we have agreed the format I suggest we target all UK M.E.P's in the first instance and then gauge their response.

Let me know what you think and don't be afraid to be constructive Cool

Kind regards

Mike

PROPOSED LETTER FOR M.E.P's

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

REFERENCE: Brussels, 19 January 2012 – The European Commission today adopted a new four-year strategy (2012-2015) that aims to further improve the welfare of animals in the European Union.

Whilst as an animal lover I broadly welcome this new strategy, I can’t help but be concerned that the new plan does not specifically relate any improvement towards the welfare of cats and dogs within member states. However, it does mention” the Commission does not envisage such legislation now, but if deemed necessary it will take specific measures for cats and dogs.” It is on this basis that I now wish to bring the following matter to your attention:

Greece – Issue of mistreatment of stray cats and dogs and lack of welfare concern.

Historically Greeks have not viewed cats and dogs as companions to live within the household, but since the 1980’s this situation has slowly started to improve but it is still far below an acceptable standard. Greece is currently awash with stray cats and dogs due to an apathetic approach to sterilization and thus the populations are out of control and the Greeks treat these strays as pests, which leads to much abuse and suffering to the animals as well as reduced life expediency. It is thought that the average life expectancy of a stray dog in Greece is 2.5 years due to poisoning, automobile accidents and starvation as opposed to a natural average of 11 to 13 years.

There are volunteer who run shelters in Greece and who try to take care of these strays however, this task has been likened to trying to empty an ocean with a teaspoon due to the poor enforcement of any population control through a spray/neutering process and due to lack of Greek municipal support. What these shelters need is a bigger spoon and a smaller ocean and a co-operative approach from the local Greek authorities.

Example: Trikala Animal Welfare Society, Trikala, Greece.

This shelter is run by 5 volunteers who whilst trying to keep down jobs and run families face an uphill struggle every day. They receive no municipal support (they are supposed to under Greek law) despite caring for 200 dogs and 100 cats and are heavily dependant on foreign donations. Their situation is critical as the shelter is now full and costs, especially medical, are spiraling out of control. They are turning away cats and dogs one day only to find them killed or abused the next day.

What help can you give?

As a M.E.P you are my voice in Europe and I ask and need you to speak up on behalf of this critical matter. I am aware that there are other member states whose record on animal welfare is similar to Greece and I am only using Greece as an example as I know that country best as I am a supporter of 3 shelters there. I would suggest that the E.U initially adopt a 3 step approach to cat and dog welfare and adopt some “specific measures” alluded to in the four-year strategy (2012-2015):

Step 1: Member states to be required to enforce current internal legislation on animal abuse and funding obligations and reduce the amount of animal suffering and help those (the volunteers) who are trying to help the animals.

Step 2: Specific additional measures to be considered and introduced in order that the cause of the problem is addressed rather than the effects. Such areas such as compulsory micro chipping of all cats and dogs are often cited as a positive step forward towards accountability and responsibility towards a cat or dog.

Step 3: Population control. This is the area where ultimately the battle will be won and lost. A female dog is in heat 4 times a year and will produce an average litter of between 3 to 6 pups each time. Unless this area with strays is urgently addressed through a humane co-ordinated spray/neutering program the problem will never improved and every other effort will ultimately be in vain and the abuse and suffering will continue.

In summary, I am asking you to take the issue of stray cat and stray dog abuse in Greece up on my behalf with the Greek representatives in the European Parliament and with the European Commission. I appreciate that Europe and especially Greece is currently facing a financial crisis, however we all share a common goal and that is to work towards a better Europe for all its citizens – and that includes the animals we have a shared responsibility of care towards.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this important matter and I thank you in anticipation for your efforts in making Greece and Europe a better place for all to live in,

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxxxxxx
[b]
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty MP letter and stuff

Post  susanns Thu Mar 29 2012, 01:01

Hi,

looks like I missed a fe conversations :-) Will give my 5 pennys worth to the letter later. Great idea and Thank you Mike!

I have to use this forum more... been preaching but not prcticing. I will be better from now on, promise!!!

Here's for all of you.

flower bounce cheers and lots of cat cat cat cat cat sunny

Susann
susanns
susanns
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty A trial run

Post  Ghost07 Thu Mar 29 2012, 01:48

Hi folks,

I have emailed all 6 Scottish M.E.P's - let's see who replies and wants my vote at the next election Very Happy

Kind regards

Mike

xxx
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty I.M.P.R.E.S.S.I.V.E

Post  JaneyM Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:14

What can I say, that letter ACE!

A couple of typos.... Sorry, Susann did promote me to Chief Proofreader, something everyone will regret soon enough (bit of an OCD with proofing and grammar). But it's fab.

YAY MIKE!

Will find out who my MEPs are and get it under way!

Do you want me to tell you typos/grammar things? Oh go on, I'm dying to! LOL

Main one is, it's spay/neuter not spray! lol

albino
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

Post  JaneyM Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:17

Plus, I hope you took off all the kisses at the end of the letter!

LOL Oooerrr missus!

Smile
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 29 2012, 17:23

MIKE!!! That letter is awsome, I bow in your presence! afro

I too will find out who my local MEP's are and get writing, without kisses lol!

Jane I know you're desperate to do the typos - you know as a Moderator you can go and edit them. I think you will like this option tongue
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  susanns Fri Mar 30 2012, 06:44

Jane... wait until I am back to my normal sale. You may regret accepting ;-)) Like the letter a lot Mike. Thank you for writing it and posting it here... Sx
susanns
susanns
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

About the volunteers Empty letter for M.E.P's

Post  Ghost07 Fri Mar 30 2012, 09:41

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your feedback and for Janey's keen eye - pesky spell checker changes everything Rolling Eyes

Janey, please go ahead and make the changes and bear in mind it has been many years since I last wrote a letter - in fact, the last letter I wrote began "Dear Santa" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Debs, can we have a separate section for the letter so we can gather all responses from M.E.P's in one place?

Catch you all soon Very Happy

Mike farao

xxx
Ghost07
Ghost07

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 30 2012, 20:20

Mike I have made this a Global Stickie so it can be seen on all of the forums on here now and people can put their replies on there too... thank you so much santa Wink
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  susanns Sat Mar 31 2012, 21:20

:-) maybe it will help with the kisses... cheers
susanns
susanns
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JaneyM Sat Mar 31 2012, 23:05

Ooh ooh ooh I can make edits........ WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Mike! Smile

Deb, as it's global stickie, where do I mark up the typos? And how?

Despite my "keen eye"... I think it's a brilliant letter Mike, I'm just a pain in the proverbial with things like this. Actually had someone almost quit their job this week, cos I had to point out their errors over a period of time... But in my work, it has to be perfect! Felt terrible, but hey!

Razz
JaneyM
JaneyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 01 2012, 01:30

Jane if you could go into Mike's post and edit there, I will copy and paste as you can't edit me mwahahaha Twisted Evil Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum